Membership

Rabbi

Officers/Committees

History

Newsletter

Contacts/Directions

Feedback

History of Congregation Beth Jacob

Around the year 1880, the first of the founding Jewish families arrived in Plymouth. In 1900, the Jewish people of Plymouth were worshiping in the Orthodox fashion. Daily and Sabbath prayers were held in homes, but for the High Holy Days a hall was hired to accommodate the Jewish Community which consisted of forty families.

These families formed the Beis Jacob Society. and began to work for the erection of a Synagogue. The March 7, 1910 minutes (written in Yiddish and on display in the lower level of the CBJ Synagogue), show that the property had been purchased, a mortgage secured,and the deed given to the Treasurer. On July 24,1910, the President had the cellar dug. In 1913, the Synagogue building was completed, a simple exterior with a very modest interior. This building, located at 8 Pleasant Street, is still used by Congregation Beth Jacob for worship services, for the Rabbi's study, for Hebrew and Confirmation classes, as well as for many meetings.

In the 1970's, Congregation Beth Jacob became affiliated with the UAHC and purchased a second building, our Community Center on the corner of Court St. and Brewster Street, the building was sold in 2012. Congregation Beth Jacob continues to create a strong Jewish presence on the South Shore. Our membership support a full-time Rabbi who, along with our many volunteers, provides a wide range of Jewish education and cultural events.